Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Las Posadas















What a special night! We had so much fun participating in the "Las Posadas" (the inns) procession at Olvera Street tonight.

The festivities started with some dancing by folklorico dancers, and then a pinata! It was seriously raining candy.

Soon the Posadas procession started-- where we, along with shepherds, angels, and musicians, got to sing and help Mary and Joseph look for lodging. Tonight they asked at the Candle Shop which is one of our favorite stores at Olvera. The musicians and the songs were so beautiful-- it was really fun to sing "Los Peces" and "Noche Buena" which were songs that I learned while on my mission in Spain. We also sang "Noche de paz" (Silent Night) which was wonderful. In the end, we all got to enjoy some delicious pandulce (sweet bread) and champurrada (a hot cinnamon drink.) Yum!! This was a first for us, but I hope we can make this a Christmas tradition! We finished the night with some sweet tamales (with pineapple.) I can't resist a good tamale at Christmas time! :) !!Feliz Navidad!!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I've always wanted to do the Posadas! I even purchased Jose Feliciano's this year on itunes. Maybe I'll go with you guys when we come back to the States.