Friday, October 30, 2009

Another Halloween Party!




Today we had another Halloween party with our Waldorf home school group. I LOVE our group because we get a little more eccentric with the things we do. We had SO MUCH fun!! I was in charge of our Dia de los Muertos altar again and I also had a little "fishing" game where kids could "fish" for a little treasures. I stayed up all night last night making these acorn necklaces with the acorns we gathered the other day. Then this morning the girls and I made little bags with "fairy pumpkins" and other little treasures from nature.






















Our party started with Claudia leading pumpkin carving which the kids could have done all day. Then we had a potluck with lots of yummy foods. Then we had a circle time together where we did these songs and verses:

1. Jack O Lantern (song)
Jack O Lantern Jack O Lantern
You are such a funny sight
As you sit there in the window looking out at the night
You were once a yellow pumpkin
Growing on a sturdy vine 
Now you are a Jack O lantern
See the candle light shine

2. Five Little Pumpkins (verse)
Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.
The first one said, "My it's getting late!"
The second one said, "There are witches in the air."
The third one said, "I don't care!"
The fourth one said, "Let's run, and run and run!"
The fifth one said, "It's just Halloween fun!"
Then Woooooosh went the wind
And OUT went the lights.
And five little pumpkins rolled out of sight.

3. Three little pumpkins (verse)
Three little pumpkins, lying very still
In a pumpkin patch on a hill.
This one said, "I'm very green,
But I'll be orange by Halloween."
This one said, "I'm on my way
To be a Jack O Lantern someday."
This one said, Oh my, oh my, 
Today I'll be a pumpkin pie!

4. Witches Brew (song)
I'm stirring and stirring and stirring my brew
Whoooo ooo  Whoooo ooo!
I'm stirring and stirring and stirring my brew
Whoooo ooo  Whoooo ooo!
Tip toe, tip toe, tip toe  BOO!

5. Three Little Witches (song)
One little, two little, three little witches,
Fly over haystacks, fly over ditches,

Slide down moon beams without any hitches,

Hey ho Hallowe'en's here! (clap, clap, clap, clap,clap!)

6. A witch, she went a shopping
A witch, she went a shopping
One October day
One October day.
She bought some stew,
And a new broom too, 
One fine, clear October day.

A witch, she went a sweeping
One cleaning day
One cleaning day
She dusted her house
And chased out a mouse, 
One busy cleaning day.

A witch, she set to stirring 
At suppertime
At suppertime.
She sat down to sup
And ate it all up,
At witches suppertime.

A witch she went to dressing
One midnight hour,
One midnight hour.
She straightened her hat,
And patted her cat,
One late midnight hour.

A witch, she went a riding
One Halloween night
One Halloween night
She took up her broom 
And ALA-KA-ZOOM!
One moonlit Halloween night.

Most of the kids know these songs and verses so it was very fun to do it all together!

Then AnnMarie told the cutest story of a witch who makes herself a house from a piece of orange paper that when you open, it turns into a Jack O' Lantern. All the kids got to cut one and it was a fun surprise.

After this, we went to the altar and I explained Dia de los Muertos and the various things on the altar. Afterwards, all the kids got to take a sugar skull off the altar to eat. Fun!

Then AnnMarie had the kids draw Jack O' Lantern faces on some orange balloons.

Then we played our fishing game-- I think everybody liked their acorn necklaces and fairy pumpkins!

Then Lucy took the kids on a small treasure hunt through the trees and had them say fun verses to get their treats. Lucy is always so much fun with the kids because she's an actress!

Last, Elizabeth, dressed as a witch, handed out treasures from her cauldron. So much fun!

We ended with a DELICIOUS chocolate spider cake. YUM! (I mean, reeeaaallllyyy good!)

I love us mamas that love our kids so much that we go all out for them!

2 comments:

FootprintsinClay said...

Suzy - I love reading all the fun things you do with your homeschool group too! Josh and I are seriously considering homeschooling due to the way our world is getting so crazy - we don't have any baby news yet but hope to soon! :)

courtney said...

i love, love, love those acorn necklaces!! please teach me, how did you string them? so wonderful!

i love your waldorf stuff, i need to read more about it.

hope you're doing well, courtney